Sunday, August 22, 2010

Old Friends

First, let me put your mind at ease and tell you that Wendy is settling in to Kansas and I am adjusting to life here without them around. While I miss seeing them everyday, and Megan still tells me she wants to go to Wendy's house, it is becoming less common.
The topic for today is old friends. Appropriate, given that I got a phone call from the older sister of an old friend today, who was looking for her old friend's phone number, who happened to be my oldest sister. So that was fun. Then I got an email from said sister's high school boyfriend stating that an old friend of my other sister was looking for contact info for that sister. So I sent that info on as well. More fun!
One of my favorite email companions is my ex from high school. While we have both moved on to different lives, I really look forward to his semi-regular emails. When we met, years ago, he always seemed to know what I needed. That hasn't changed, and his emails always manage to make me smile, give me a place to vent, or remind me why I'm working towards something to start with. Though we haven't seen each other in almost 16 years, and there was very little contact for the first 15 of those years, the last half year that we've been writing has been very cathartic. I'm trying to talk him into bringing his girlfriend down to spend the weekend in Grand Forks, touring UND grad departments in hopes that they'll choose this as their grad school.
And finally, my old friend - who is also my cousin - is on my mind and in my heart a lot these days. Her mom died a few months ago, and Erika has taken it hard. Understandably so, as they were very close. I think Erika often felt like her mom was the only constant in her life, and that losing her meant losing place in the world. I'm not going to begin to go into all the challenges Erika and her mom have faced over the years, suffice it to say that the simple fact that Erika is a loving wife and mother, a talented teacher, and a great friend speaks volumes to her strength - both strength of character and spiritual strength. What would have crushed a lesser person has made Erika more beautiful. And while she is having problems seeing that right now, I know that Linda is with her in spirit, reminding her that it is ok to enjoy life, to laugh, to love, and to carry on. I know Linda would have wanted Erika to go on living and embracing all it offers. But I also know that she isn't quite ready to make that step yet. So I am asking everyone to send your prayers, thoughts, karma, or whatever spiritual things you do, to Erika. Give her your healing vibes, help her know that moving on doesn't mean forgetting, and that her mom is still with her - in herself and in her 2 beautiful children. Maybe if enough of us send her good thoughts, she can start to heal. It doesn't matter if you know her or not, send it anyway. Everything helps!

1 comment:

  1. Kim,

    I am crying now as I write this. Thank you for your beautiful words. My spirit needed to hear them! It's so beneficial to hear other people's take on how I am doing, and to see how I look to them. I only see the darkness in me and only feel the pain, so to hear your belief in my strength was soothing to my scorched heart. You were right, my mom was the only constant thing in my life. I have Dave, but I know that I could f#*k up that relationship if I wanted to, whereas I know I could never do anything to make my mom leave me. And yet, here we are... I cannot thank you enough for all your love and support. I miss you. I miss the nights I would spend the night at your house and we'd stay up for hours talking and listening to music. I appreciate all the funny stories you leave on my FB page!! They really do help. They make me laugh through the tears. I can't wait till our visit in October! What are those dates again and what are we doing??!!!

    Love you!
    Erika a.k.a. Alicita

    ReplyDelete